A confidential video was just released by a judge that shows Donald Trump in a recorded deposition for a lawsuit against Geoffrey Zakarian for pulling out of a contract with the Trump Organization. The restaurant owners alleged that Trump’s comments calling Mexicans “rapists” and drug dealers would have a negative impact on their business.
Attorney Debra Baum questioned Trump:
“You understand, I’m sure, that what brings us together today is the decision that Mr. Zakarian and his entity made in the wake of the [anti-immigrant] comments that you made when you announced your candidacy for president in June 2016.”
Trump admitted he had thought about the comments in advance and didn’t give any thought about how it might negatively impact his Latino and Hispanic tenants. The lease was signed in February 2015, but Trump didn’t run until June 16, 2015, where he made these very public comments. But Trump didn’t think it was fair for Zakarian to pull out of the lease because Trump had been “saying these things for years.”
“Do you think it’s possible that he genuinely thought that your comments would make it more difficult for him to hire staff and attract patrons?”
“Yes. I can see, yeah, perhaps it is. But he has a lease. He signed it. And I’ve been saying these things for years. I’ve been very consistent. I’ve been saying them from before he signed the lease.”
Trump also admitted many other companies had pulled out of contracts or refused to renew leases with the Republican nominee shortly after his comments on Mexicans, citing Univision, Miss Universe, NBC, and Macy’s.
Trump also hilariously said he didn’t think it was “fair” that he couldn’t continue his show “The Apprentice” and run for President.
The deposition is from a lawsuit from Trump’s $200 million project to transform the Old Post Office building. Defense attorneys for Zakarian pointed to reports by Forbes that showed Trump’s campaign had been negatively impacting his hotels.
The videos were obtained by Buzzfeed, which filed a court motion seeking the release of the video depositions and transcripts. The Trump team fought the release of the deposition on the grounds it would negatively impact Trump’s presidential campaign and would be used by the Clinton campaign in attack ads. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman, on Friday, ordered its release.
The judge said Trump “has not demonstrated that any subject video deposition contains scandalous, libelous, or other unduly prejudicial material warranting denial of media access.”
Here is the video:
Here is Part 2 of the video:
You can read the full transcript here.
Featured Image via YouTube (Screen Capture)